By Denyne Sanville www.Denynedesigns.com
Over time the energy within your home stagnates and whether you realize it or not, it has a negative effect on your well-being. Space Clearing is an ancient technique that has been practiced for centuries within spiritual traditions from Judaism to Christianity, and Feng Shui to Native American cultures. It is a beautiful way to help you clear out the old, stagnant or chaotic energy in your home and make way for positive energy to come on in.
While there are many ways to clear a room (or an entire home) I’m going to show you one of the easiest and most effective practices. It’s the practice I do when performing a space clearing ceremony in my own home. I like to do this with the change of the seasons, but if you’re not able to do that then shoot for performing the ceremony at least twice a year – once on the summer solstice and again on the winter solstice. How long the ceremony will take depends on whether you are doing just one room or your entire home.
- First and foremost clearing the clutter andthoroughly cleaning the roomwill rid the space of a lot of negative energy. Be sure to get into corners and under things that you would normally overlook.
- Turn off all TVs, radios and as many electric components as possible.
- Place non-paraffin, clean burning candles like beeswax or soy at the entryway to the room and at several locations throughout the space.
- Now breathe deeply and focus your mind on your intention for the space. This will help keep you focused and centered throughout the clearing process. Come up with a mantra that states your intention and repeat it during the process – saying the mantra out loud if at all possible will give it more power.
For the next several steps you will move around the perimeter of the room in a clockwise direction. Start in an entryway to the room and end in the same spot. Repeat each step moving in the direction and stating your mantra as you go.
- Sandalwood, juniper and sage are well known as purifying herbs. Choose one and purchase the cleanest, most organic type you can find. Light the wand and slowly move around the space, starting at the floor and extending the wand up towards the ceiling, filling the area with the cleansing smoke. Keep a non-flammable shell, bowl or tray in one hand to catch any ashes that may fall. You can also use liquid smudge as an alternative to an herb wand.
- You can purchase a singing bowl or use a bell that has a clear sound to perform the next part of the clearing ritual. Ring the bell or tap the singing bowl once, allowing the sound to permeate the space. Following the previous pattern of floor to ceiling, move slowly around the room listening for the sound to completely dissipate, once the sound is gone ring or tap again and repeat until you have circled the room.
- Repeat this ritual in each room if you have more than one area to cleanse.
You are now done and have fully cleansed your space of all stagnant energy! To keep the energy flowing open the windows as often as possible, as well as keep the room clean and free of clutter. By being diligent with the practices mentioned, you will notice things may look a little different, the room may appear to have more energy and you may feel different the next time you walk into the space.